Bubblegum Betty

Monday, May 23, 2011

A Tribute to Mothers

Mother's Day was a few weeks ago and I personally think it's wonderful that there is a day set aside to celebrate and appreciate all that our moms have done for us.  I think about all the things that my mom has done for me, taught me, and sacrificed for me.  But, she hasn't done this just for me, she's done it for my little brother too.  It amazes me each and every day how much love she has for me and my brother...and now Cody!  It is unconditional love that God blesses our parents with, and especially our mother's.  I know that there have been times where I have put my sweet momma through the ringer!  I was a sassy, stubborn, bull-headed, and argumentative child.  Let's just say that I've never been a push over...even in my younger years!  I remember being told that it was a good trait to have because I would never let anyone run over me.  But, I had to mature to really understand how to use those abilities in good ways, not disrespectful ways.  Even through my little brother and I growing up and being defiant every now and again, mom never held it against us.  In fact, I think it made her love us more because she would fight even harder for us.  She was, and still is, always on our side and continues to want the best for us.  I still turn to her for advice and I like having her around and asking her for her opinion on things when I need to make a decision on something.  One thing that I've always loved about my mom is that she doesn't force her opinion on you.  Now, if you ask her...she's definitely going to be honest!  Which I love even more because I know that she will always tell me the truth.  And in the end, it usually works out better in the end.  Even if I was just getting her opinion on if I should buy something or not.  My mom and I have always been so super close...she's my best friend and has taught me so much.  I hope that I can be half the mom to our kids that she has been to me.

So, because Mother's Day is a very special day, I had to make a very special dessert!  I was actually planning on cooking dinner for my mom and for Cody's mom.  But, we wound up going to Hamilton on Mother's Day to spend time with my Mimi.  We went to chuch with her and then went and had lunch together.  We spent the rest of the afternoon at her house helping her get some things done and enjoying the yummy cake that I made!  Oh...and Faith went with us to...of course!  She loves her Mimi!!!  This cake that I made, I found on one of the many food blogs that I follow.  (I love to cook...have you figured that out?!?!?)  The blog that I found this cake on is called Lick the Bowl Good, and she makes some delicious things!  I drool every time I read her new posts!  This cake was so good!  It was a  Lemon Blueberry Marble Cake and because of the flavors, it was so light and moist.  It was the perfect cake for Mother's Day and for the beginning heat that summer brings!  My mom helped me decorate it...I'm telling you...she's always there when I need her!  Even when she's helping me make a cake to celebrate her!  I bought this new frostin by Betty Crocker that is buttercream flavored and comes in a tube that you can change the tips to make designs.  We were trying to figure out how to write "Happy Mother's Day" on the top of the cake, but we didn't have a tip that was skinny enough to do it :-(  So, I just went online and found a cute "Happy Mother's Day" sign and made it small enough to put on top of the cake with a tootpick.  I just copied the picture into Word, printed off two of them so it would be double sided, glued the two sides together with the toothpick in between, and Voila!  I think mom and I are going to go to cake decorating classes over the summer so we can learn to "professionally" decorate cakes...SO FUN!!!  I hope that each and every mommy out there had a wonderful Mother's Day!!!  I love you momma!!!


So...here are some pictures of the cake before and after it was baked.  I had to swirl (marble) the blueberry batter into the regular batter...I think I should have swirled a little more than I did!  A little bit of the cake had to be trimmed, so I got to taste test before it got iced.  It was hard to contain myself!


Here are some pictures of the cake after I assembled it with the blueberry lemon sauce.  There was quite a bit of lemon buttercream frosting left...again it was hard to contain myself from eating all of it! 

The finished product!  It was so pretty.  This is the first time that I've ever decorated a cake like this.  Well...technically my mom did it...but it was the first time for either of us!  I've always just either made or bought frosting and then slapped it on the cake.  But, this was a special occasion, so it called for special decoration!


And we dug right in!  After lunch, we were all pretty excited to get back and cut into this cake.  It was just as pretty on the inside too with all that yummy blueberry lemon sauce between the layers!  I think I might have to make this one again!


No comments:

Post a Comment