Bubblegum Betty

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Baked Donuts?!?!?

Um...YES PLEASE!!!  Ok, I love donuts.  But I can't remember the last time I actually ate one from an actual donut shop.  I think it was probably sometime in my high school years...and I graduated in 2003!  So, needless to say it's been too long.  When anyone around me gets donuts, I usually will tear off a little piece of one so that I can have a bite.  It's pure torture to not stuff the whole thing in my mouth though!  Most of you that know me (and know me well) know that I don't really eat anything that isn't healthy.  Meaning, I don't eat any fried foods, anything with gloppy dressing, I don't eat sweets too often, and I try to stay away from preservatives, etc.  But, sweets are definitely my weakness!  I love to bake them and I love the way they make my house smell.  When I make something sweet, I usually will nibble on it here and there.  But I usually wind up bringing the rest of whatever I've made up to school and setting it in the work room or give it to my students.  Cody's not much of a sweet eater, and I give a plate full to my parents to take home with them.  So, unless I decide to eat whatever is left by myself...I just bring with me to school.  Now, I had been craving donuts for awhile now.  I found a donut pan on Amazon awhile back.  One was for mini baked donuts and one was for regular sized donuts.  I put them on my wish list and kept going back and debating whether I should order them or not.  Mainly, I just didn't want to pay $5.00 for shipping on a $15.00 order.  So, I was in Dillard's one day buying a wedding gifts for one of my dear friends that's about to get married and happened to come across them in the store.  My mom was with me and so it was quite hilarious when I started jumping up and down in the middle of Dillard's because I saw these donut pans in a store.  I've been looking for some since last summer.  I remember going to Target, Bed, Bath, and Beyond, Dillard's, and Michael's and no one had them!  But, I finally saw them, and don't doubt for one second that I didn't buy them!  I also saw them at Michael's this past weekend...so Abilene has two places now that carry these magical pans!  They are made by Wilton by the way...you should go get some too!

Anyways, last weekend I had been slaving away on making this Unit Lesson Plan for my course that I'm taking right now and when I finally finished, I needed a pick-me-up!  So, I grabbed those donut pans from our cabinet and went to town.  I couldn't decide what glaze or topping I wanted on them, so I made two different kinds.  I had tons to choose from though.  I could have done vanilla glaze, strawberry glaze, chocolate glaze, lemon glaze, maple, glaze, cinnamon-sugar, powdered sugar, the list really could go on forever!  So, the two that I decided to make were vanilla glaze and cinnamon-sugar topped.  They were honestly to die for!  I mean for a baked donut...I don't think you could get much better.  I did try one of each, and I couldn't decide which ones I like better.  Sometimes I worry that things that I bake like that won't taste good to other people because my palette is so different due to the fact that I don't eat normal things like most people!  But I know that they were good because my little brother liked them and ate several of them!  And this boy loves his donuts!  Now that I know that everyone enjoyed them, I'll definitely be making them a lot more!  And with lots more variety!  I want it to be like you just walked into a donut shop when you come into my house after I've made them!  Thank goodness summer is right around the corner...looks like I'll be one busy donut making girl!


Baked Donuts!!!  These were also the cutest little things!  They were bite-size, so you could have several of them and still feel guilt free!  Yummy!


No comments:

Post a Comment