Bubblegum Betty

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Paleo Treats!

I took off the Monday after Cody's birthday weekend in Ft. Worth.  I knew that we would be getting in late on Sunday night and since we were gone all weekend, I knew that I was going to have a lot of laundry to do, a few chores needed to be done around the house, and I needed to run a few errands.  So, back in September when we planned this whole shebang, I requested that Monday off so that I wouldn't run myself ragged throughout the week after his birthday.  I am SO glad I did.  We were both pooped when we got home on Sunday night.  Unfortunately, Cody didn't take that Monday off.  But, since I was going to be home, I was able to get a few things done for him so that when he got home from work and the gym, he could just relax!  The one nice thing about taking the day off was that I got to go up to Elite and work on some skill work and my bench press max.  I got 120 lb. bench press max by the way...super pumped!!!  I've really been wanting to get my muscle-ups...so I worked on those for about an hour and half before I did the WOD, which was Helen (more on that in another post).  I guess I got up there around 10:30 and was home by 1:00.  Since Cody's birthday had just passed, I decided to whip up some Paleo chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting and take up there to the 5:00 class.  I found the recipe on a blog from a Google search...but my favorite Paleo blog is PaleOMG.  I followed her blog even before Cody and I decided to go Paleo...like for about a year now!  She's hilarious, her recipes are amazing, and she's a fellow CrossFitter.  In fact, she's actually a CrossFit coach and has competed at Regionals...legit!  Anyways, the thing I love about Paleo, is that you are eating super healthy, unprocessed foods (meats, veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds)...AND you can still have treats!  Eating Paleo isn't about depriving yourself of the foods you love.  It's just about finding solutions to making the things you love healthy and unprocessed...and eating them in moderation.  Like...I would never make these just for us to have at home...but I would for a special occasion or a family dinner or get-together!  I just wanted to do something to celebrate his birthday at the gym with all our workout buddies...and there's no better way to do that than with a healthy cupcake treat!  Here's the recipe...

Paleo Chocolate Cupcakes
created by JennyMac's Lipsmack

1 cup almond flour
1 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
5 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup honey

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line muffin tin with 12 papers.  Combine dry ingredients in medium bowl and set aside.  Whisk eggs, oil, vanilla and honey then pour into dry ingredients.  Use a electric hand mixer to combine, breaking up lumps and will help emulsify the eggs.  Use a ice cream scooper to put into muffin cups.  Cook for about 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  Cool on cooking rack.  Makes 12.  See frosting recipe below.

Vegan Chocolate Frosting

1/2 cup dairy-free dark chocolate chips
1/4 cup grapeseed oil (I used almond oil and it turned out perfect)
1 Tbsp. honey
1 Tbsp. vanilla
pinch sea salt

Melt the chips with the oil in the microwave for 1 minute.  Stir until smooth.  Stir in honey, vanilla and salt.  Frosting will be very loose.  Dip each cupcake top into the glaze.  I noticed as I was dipping the frosting was getting thicker as I could double-dip some of the cupcakes again makes a thicker fudgy top.


After I dropped them off and chatted for a bit, I headed home to get dinner started.  When Cody got home, he walked in with an empty platter!  The cupcakes were a hit!  Now...go and make these for someone you love.  Or for yourself if you're having "one of those days!"  I promise you won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment