Bubblegum Betty

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Helen, Fran, and Angie...OH MY!

If you are a CrossFitter, these three ladies are nothing new to you or your vocabulary.  If you have never done CrossFit before, or have never heard of it (which, by now, would surprise me!), then get ready...cause I'm about to tell you what's up with these three "Girls."  There are many "Girls" of CrossFit, but we have just recently done these three benchmark workouts at Elite within the past two weeks.  We have a "brag board" for both the guys and girls who are members at the gym to write down their times for benchmark workouts and their weight when we get a new 1 rep. max on anything.  Since the girls brag board is fairly new, we have been doing a lot of work trying to get our 1 rep. max for different weight lifting exercises.  And, we have also been doing various benchmark workouts...hence the title...Helen, Fran, and Angie.  The boys are doing these WODs too...they have just had a board up for awhile...but they are improving on their 1 rep. max and their times as they do these WODs more and more.  There also some "New Girls" that have come into the picture since CrossFit first began and blew up.  All of the girls WODs...both the "Benchmark Girls" and the "New Girls" WODs are no joke!  There are also "Hero Workouts" that will just almost push you to passing out!  Which is awesome because it means that you gave it everything you had!  What I love about Helen, Fran, and Angie is that they all have pull-ups and they will all push you to your limits.  The first time I did these three "Girls" was back when I first started at Elite in August.  I was using the green band (the one with the least resistance) to do all my pull-ups.  I had gotten to where I could do a few kipping pull-ups, but not confident in myself to go beyond my comfort zone and just do the workout prescribed.  Now that I can do kipping pull-ups and have gotten so much stronger, I can do these workouts prescribed...and rocked my times!!!  Here is what these "Girls" are along with my times compared to Annie Thorisdottir (the 2011 and 2012 winner of the Reebok CrossFit games for the women's division):

Helen
3 Rounds for Time:

400m Run
1.5 Pood (55lb.) Kettlebell Swing - 21 Times
Pull-Ups - 12 Reps

My time: 9:24
Annie Thorisdottir: 7:40

Fran
21-15-9 Reps for Time:

65 lb. Thrusters
Pull-Ups

My Time: 5:19
Annie Thorisdottir: 2:55

Angie
For Time:

100 Pull-Ups
100 Push-Ups
100 Sit-Ups
100 Air Squats

My Time: 16:32
Annie Thorisdottir: 10:57

Are you sweating reading those?!?!?  I am!  And I also remember exactly how I felt after each and everyone of them!  I had noodle arms and legs and my lungs felt like they were going to explode!  Not so much on Angie...but on Helen and Fran...my lungs really felt like that.  I was also completely exhausted...walking seemed near impossible!  After those workouts...I just dropped to the floor, laid on my back, put my hands over my head, and waited until my breathing returned to normal before I tried to stand up.  It was great!  I knew that I pushed myself to my maximum ability and I had given it all in each and every one of those "Benchmark Girls!"  I am no where near close to Annie's times.  If I was I would be competing alongside her in the CrossFit games!  But, my goal is to improve on my times each and every time we do one of these "Girls," or any other benchmark workout for that matter.  CrossFit is all about doing what you can do for your ability, skill level, and strength...and improving each and every time you walk through those gym doors.  I know that I have gotten better, stronger, faster, and more confident in myself the longer I do CrossFit...and especially since we joined Elite.  I am pushed everyday by Jeremy and Chanan and the people I workout with to do more, go harder, and just be better than I was the day before.  We all push one another to be better and cheer each other on as we accomplish new goals and crush old times and previous 1 rep max weights.  I love the community that we have formed and are a part of at Elite and it's all because Jeremy and Chanan and the awesome people we workout with!  CrossFit is a huge part of our lives...and it's something we love and are passionate about.  I'm excited to get more into the competitive side of it and see how far I can push myself to become better each and every time.  On that note, here's a fun quote to leave you with.  I think it sums up what CrossFit is all about when you are going beyond your comfort level, pushing past the hurt and the mental blocks, achieving new goals, and getting better.  XOXO!

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
~Vince Lombardi

No comments:

Post a Comment