Bubblegum Betty

Monday, September 5, 2011

Back to School...

Well, today is Labor Day day, so that means that I'm off work and school is officially back in session!  I can't believe that summer is really over and we will be starting the third week of school this week.  Where does the time go?!?!?  Before we know it, we'll be putting up our Christmas tree!  I am so thankful that it is finally starting to cool off and the fall weather is moving in.  It has been so dreadfully hot all summer long, and we desperately need some cooler weather and rain!

Even though summer is over, I am so happy to be back in school and see all my kiddos and my co-workers.  I feel so blessed that God has placed me at Blackwell and I get to work with the people I work with and teach the students that walk through my classroom door each and everyday.  I honestly wake up every single morning looking forward to going to work, even with the 45 minute commute.  It is an amazing feeling to not only love what you do, but love the environment that you work in.  One of the coolest things about teaching in Blackwell is the relationships that I build with my students.  I have the seventh grade class that I am teaching technology applications too this year.  Most people don't even know who will be walking through their door on the first day of school, especially a seventh grade class because they typically come to junior high/middle school from a completely different campus.  However, because our school is so small, I have known these seventh graders since I started at Blackwell four years ago.  So, I have known these kids since they were in third grade!  I have gotten to watch them grow up and have looked forward to them being in my class.  I also have the entire ninth grade class.  They are in my BCIS 1 class and I have had them in my classroom for three years now.  The rest of my business/technology classes are electives.  But, all the kids that take those have been in my classroom before.  They know my style of teaching and I know and understand them.  I know how they learn and also how to help them so that they understand the goals and objectives of what I'm teaching.  But, it's not just about teaching them a subject.  Many of my students come in my room each and every day just to say hi and sit down and talk.  I have truly built a relationship with each and everyone of my kids.  I truly feel that God has given me and opportunity to be a good example to them and also be there for them if they ever need anything.  I love being a teacher, and so going back to school for me is fun and exciting!  I get to be around my kiddos again and see all the wonderful people that I work with.  We are truly like a little family at Blackwell!

With school starting back, it also means that football season is upon us!  This is one of the highlights of any West Texan and I am certainly no different!  Those Friday night lights have been shining bright, the bands are playing the school songs, and the fans are filling the bleachers!  Oh...and it smells like football outside...one of my most favorite things!  With football season upon us, that means that the cheerleaders are preparing pep rallies and dress-up days.  This week for us is also Homecoming week.  So, that means that every day is a dress-up day and all the Homecoming festivities are going to be in full swing.  Our theme this year is "Dream Big."  Homecoming is a big deal for any high school, and it is no different for us in Blackwell.  We actually have the Homecoming game on Saturday so all the alumni that live out of town can come in and enjoy seeing everyone.  I love football and I always look forward to this time of year.  The weather is changing and the spirit and tradition of high schools shine bright.  I have a feeling it's going to be a GREAT year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment