Bubblegum Betty

Monday, September 12, 2011

We Will Never Forget

I will never forget this day that has now been 10 years ago.  I was a junior in high school and the first tower had just gone down about the time that school started.  We were all confused as to what was going on.  There was so much buzz going up and down the hallways that no one was really getting the full story across to anyone that happened to have been coming your way.  At first, it sounded like a rumor or maybe even like a threat.  No one really thought that what had just happened in New York City was really happening in the present day...in the here and now.  It all seemed like a dream.  Not too long after that, we watched the second plane fly into the other tower.  As I watched that plane crash into the second tower of the World Trade Center, I honestly couldn't believe my eyes.  This was happening in America and it wasn't just a dream.  For the rest of the day at school, we went from class to class watching the news in every single classroom.  Every teacher had the TV turned on in their rooms (all our classrooms had TV's mounted to the wall that had local cable channels that could be accessed at any time) to various news channels.  I remember watching as the towers collapse and thought about the people that were actually going through all of this.  I sat there wondering what all these people must be thinking, what their families were going through, and what all the fire and rescue team members were doing to try and save as many lives as they could.  Yesterday was the 10th anniversary of this tragic day, and everyone in this nation was remembering various events and what they were doing just as all of this happened.  This tragedy has shaped how we live and interact with one another on a daily basis.  Some things have been good and some things have been bad.  But, one thing is for certain and that's that this nation will never be the same.  We will always remember 9-11.  We will remember the innocent people and families that lost loved ones.  We will remember the brave men and women that gave their lives to try and save others.  We will also remember the brave men and women that continue to fight for this country and for our freedom each and every day.  These men and women and their families have been in my thoughts and prayers and I will continue to pray for their healing.  I continue to thank God for this country that I live in and for blessing us with strength and courage to be able to face the enemy and be confident that He will always prevail.

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war rise up against me, yet I will be confident." Psalm 27: 1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment