Bubblegum Betty

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Graduation Day!!!

I officially have my M.e.d!!!  I cannot believe that after two years I am completely done with school.  I feel like it went by so fast while at the same time takin so long!  I also think that probably depends on which class I was in at the time.  If I liked the class and was enjoying the research I was doing, the papers I was writing, and the assignments that had to be completed, then it went by fast and was fairly enjoyable.  On the other hand, if it was the opposite, those seven weeks seemed like two years in themselves!  But I am DONE and I had the best time celebrating with friends and family after graduation was over.

Since there was so much going on in town that weekend, and I wanted all of our friends and family to come and celebrate with me, we decided to have a get together at our house after the ceremony was over.  My sweet Mimi came down from  Hamilton...the same Mimi that I always take Faith to go see with my mom.  And my Grandma and cousing came down from Kerrville, and then her neice, I call her "Aunt Kay" (even though she's not really my aunt!) and her daughter-in-law and two granddaughters came from San Angelo to see my graduate and come over afterwards.  My Aunt Kay's daughter, that lives in Abilene, her husband and son came over too!  I'm named after my Aunt Kay...so she holds a special place in my heart and it was so fun to have her there!  My parents, Cody's parents, and his sister and her sweet family were also there too.  We also had our family (our friends that we call family) come over to celebrate too...Jake, Leah and Sydney, Brent, Bria, and Jansen, Tony, Julie, Logan, and Drew, Erica and Adam, Michael's girlfriend, Brittany and her parents It was so much fun being with everyone and just eating, talking, and enjoying each other for the night!

The graduation ceremony went off without a hitch!  Which I was super thankful for because I was terrified that I was going to fall somehow.  I guess that's what I get for wearing 5-inch heels...but I wouldn't wear anything else!!!  I never even teeter on them, but I had so many nerves that I just knew something was going to happen.  But, I didn't fall or even have a slight slip-up!  It was weird getting my Master's because it's just so different than when I got my Bachelor's.  The gowns are different and you walk in carrying the hood.  Then, you actually get "hooded" by the dean of the department from which you're graduating from individually.  When you get your bachelor's, the person you choose to hood you does it and you get hooded all at once by the person you chose instead of the dean of the department.  So, when getting your Master's, you are more in the spotlight.  There is so much work that goes into getting a Master's, so now looking back, it seems deserving to be hooded invidiually by the dean of the department...it's kinda like you're own little moment in the spotlight!  But, I was nervous about it.  When you're standing up there, you have time to really look at how many people are there to watch their loved ones graduate as well as look at all the other graduates that are about to walk that stage after you.  I really tried to soak it all in because I knew (more than likely) that this would be my last time walking across the stage.  It was so surreal.  I felt a little bit like I was in a dream...a good dream though!  For so long I had awaited the moment when I would walk across that stage and be completely done with my Master's degree, that for that moment, it almost didn't feel real.  But it was!  And after the ceremony, I found my sweet family that came from all over to watch, took some pictures, and headed home for the real celebration!

When we got home, it was time to set out all the food and get everything ready for people to come over, hang out, and eat!  Mom and I had bought all the food earlier in the week and had it all prepared before we left for the ceremony so we didn't have to do anything but set it out when we got home.  We decided upon sandwhiches, a fruit tray, veggie tray, sausage balls, little smokies, chips, and a big cake to serve!  It was all so yummy...but we had more fun all being under one roof and spending time together.  Most of the boys went outside and watched tv out there while the girls stayed inside and gabbed...so typical!  My grandma and cousin left pretty early because they were driving back to Kerrville that night.  And my parents and Mimi left along with our other family members a little while later.  Our friends stayed for quite a bit longer and we just stayed up talking and loving on the sweet babies that have been brought into our tight little circle.  We always have so much fun together no matter where we are or what we're doing!  It's a once in a lifetime blessing to have friends that you really do consider family.  We have been so blessed to have amazing parents, brothers, and sisters...I don't know what I would do without them and the example that they have shown me growing up and even as an adult.  I know I wouldnt' be where I am today if it weren't for them and their support.  I also have to brag so much on Cody.  I know throughout these past two years there have been times when I have been so stressed out and really just a bundle of nerves, emotions, and anxiety.  He was, my shoulder to cry on, my support, my encourager, the person I vented too, and my rock.  I am so blessed  to have him as my husband.  I know that God made him just for me and I thank him  everyday that Cody is who I get to spend everyday with and go through the best times and also the worst times.  I love you so much babe!!!  My parents were also there for me every step of the way.  They always gave me words of encouragment when I didn't think I could push any more, they knew just what to say to help get me focused and continue on.  My family and friends were so supportive and I know that each and everyone of them played such a big role in helping me to complete this degree with confidence...and a 4.0!!!  I love each and everyone of you so, so much!!!











This is the grand finale!!!  This was my graduation present from Cody, my parents, Cody's parents,and my Mimi.  It's the Tag Heuer Aquaracer!!!  I was completely taken aback when I opened up the bag and saw the box sitting inside.  Cody put this together all by himself!  He coordinated with everyone and picked it out.  He said he wanted me to have s omething that I will always have and remember getting for completing my Master's.  He is amazing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment